- Drive a specific campaign for a specified period of time – just like Domino’s did to introduce their DXP delivery cars.
- Evoke a specific call to action – a charity might use a microsite to inform their audience of a particular charitable campaign and encourage them to to donate, volunteer or contact their local government representative.
- Publish content frequently and indefinitely – EmojiTracker.com is a good example- it conducts real-time tracking of all emojis used on Twitter.
- Boost SEO and SEM where the microsite has been set up for a unique and specific purpose
- Provide easy user navigation with responsive design
- Enhance online presence, including reach and awareness
- Track marketing campaign outcomes
- Provide extra value for the brand
- Enable content to be delivered free from existing congestion in the primary website.
- High risk of confusion with different platforms for users to interact with.
- Additional resources needed for development and execution.
- Limited lifespan (depending on the type of microsite developed).
ActivityYou have learned some of the advantages and disadvantages of developing a microsite. Thinking about some of your favorite companies, identify a company that uses a microsite marketing strategy and answer the following:
- How does the microsite relate to the parent company?
- Do you think it is an effective use of the company’s resources?Post your ideas in the Comments section.
Online Business: Digital Marketing for Success
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.