Classroom examples: learning intentions
Learning intentionsFor each classroom extract in the video, a list of potential learning intentions has been provided below.
0m10s – Maths. Year 1 (age 5-6).
- To know how to shade a quarter of a circle
- To know how to shade a quarter of any shape
- To know that a quarter represents one segment of equal size out of four for any object
- To represent parts of a shape as a fraction
1m25s – Physics. Year 11 (age 15-16).
- To describe a method for calculating the density for a regular shape
- To describe a method for calculating the density for an irregular shape
- To be able to select appropriate equipment to accurately calculate the density of any object
- To know that density is related to the mass per unit volume for any object
2m55s – Maths. Year 7 (age 11-12).
- To understand how to calculate an unknown value in an equation
- To understand the steps needed to solve an equation containing an unknown value
- To understand the relationship of equations to each other
- To understand that any function carried out needs to be applied to both sides of an equation
Thinking back to our examples of clear learning intentions, not ‘fogged’ by context, how might you change your own practice? Make a few notes on your reflection grid for this week.
What would you do?Choose one of the three teacher examples provided above. State which of the learning intentions listed you think will be better for the pupils in the class and why.
Planning for Learning: Formative Assessment
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.