Classroom task and summary: students recognising their learning
- Indicate their ‘gots and needs’ – students write something they understood (got) about the lesson and/or something they still do not understand or wish to know (need) on sticky notes or cards.
- Indicate their level of understanding of key concepts using ‘traffic lights/rating’ to show whether they understood them well, need a little help, or need a lot of help.
- Complete a learning log at the end of the lesson, responding to prompts e.g. Today I learned… One thing I am not sure about…
- Consider a skill or concept you are developing with your students over time and to use one of the approaches suggested above.
- How well did the approach go in practice when you tired it? Did you have to adapt it for your students?We recognise you may not have sufficient time during the course to be able to implement these ideas. However, we encourage you to return and record your progress in the comments below and on your reflection grid.
Planning for Learning: Formative Assessment
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.