Personal Development Planning process
- Your volunteering
- Your career
- Your personal life
- Select the key areas for development. This will involve understanding your strengths and areas for development and what is realistic and achievable in your volunteering, career and personal life.
- Objectives – define objectives based on key areas for development. Make sure these are SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timebound). This will depend on a number of factors – time you have available, money and other resources to achieve the goals. Your circumstances may change and you will need to review your objectives.
- Action – carry out the objectives. Sometimes these are series of smaller objectives you’ve set yourself towards a bigger goal. Be aware of any new skills that you’re picking up along the way.
- Record your progress on a Personal Development Plan. We have produced an example to help you in the next step. This should be a dynamic document which is amended frequently.
- Sustain the development by taking a step back to review what you’ve learnt and identify future areas for development so this is a continuous cycle.
PractiseWrite a SMART objective for your Personal Development Plan. Post this in the comment below.Review two other SMART objectives from other learners. Provide feedback whether you think they are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timebound (feel free to ask questions about any of these).
Inspiring Young People in STEM: Feedback Tools for STEM Ambassadors
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.