Developing your teaching
Reflection gridWe recommend that you keep a personal record of all your work on the course, as a resource for refreshing your memory and continuing to refine your practice in the future. You can use a weekly reflection grid to help you.
Self-audit of your current practiceIf you are a teacher, being able to identify your development needs and assess your own progress is a crucial part of professional practice. To do this we have created a self-audit for you to take now and at the end of the course. You can keep these as a record of your CPD.There are no right or wrong answers, and you should answer honestly about where you are now, not where you want to be. Your answers will help you to identify what areas of practice you need to focus on the most as you progress through the course.
What’s in the self-auditThe self-audit asks you to look at your practice using the statements below:
- I regularly use plants to provide inspirational contexts in my biology teaching.
- I feel confident in my subject knowledge of plant science.
- I can identify opportunities for using plants in practical work, other than for the topic of photosynthesis.
- I plan my lessons to make links between areas of plant and animal biology.
- I feel confident in using plants to teach key biological principles.
- I challenge my student’s misconceptions about plant biology.
- I work with my department to modify biology schemes of work to include plants where appropriate.
GDPR statement: The self-audit task is hosted on JISC Online Surveys. STEM Learning will be the data controller for any personal data submitted, not FutureLearn. Further details on the opening page of the self-audit task.
- Access the self-audit task and complete it.
- At the end of the survey, click My responses.
- Click Download as PDF.
- Save the PDF where you will be able to retrieve it to review at the end of the course.
Teaching Biology: Inspiring Students with Plant Science
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.