Skip main navigation

Hurry, only 5 days left to get one year of Unlimited learning for £249.99 £174.99. New subscribers only. T&Cs apply

Find out more

The Facts About Saliva

2-11

Saliva is also known as spit. It is a clear liquid that’s made in your mouth 24 hours a day, almost nonstop to keep your mouth moist.

First, our saliva is 98% water. The rest 2% are important substances, including electrolytes, proteins, and antibacterial compounds. Our body produces 1.5 liters of saliva per day. A person can produce ~10,000 gallons of saliva in an average lifetime. Last, the saliva breaks starch into sugars. When we eat rice, we get a sweet taste after chewing them due to starch converted to sugars when mixed with saliva.

This article is from the free online

The Foundation of Modern Dentistry

Created by
FutureLearn - Learning For Life

Reach your personal and professional goals

Unlock access to hundreds of expert online courses and degrees from top universities and educators to gain accredited qualifications and professional CV-building certificates.

Join over 18 million learners to launch, switch or build upon your career, all at your own pace, across a wide range of topic areas.

Start Learning now