Public Health England
We exist to protect and improve the nation’s health and wellbeing, and reduce health inequalities.
We are responsible for:
- making the public healthier and reducing differences between the health of different groups by promoting healthier lifestyles, advising government and supporting action by local government, the NHS and the public
- protecting the nation from public health hazards
- preparing for and responding to public health emergencies
- improving the health of the whole population by sharing our information and expertise, and identifying and preparing for future public health challenges
- supporting local authorities and the NHS to plan and provide health and social care services such as immunisation and screening programmes, and to develop the public health system and its specialist workforce
- researching, collecting and analysing data to improve our understanding of public health challenges, and come up with answers to public health problems
We do this through world-leading science, research, knowledge and intelligence, advocacy, partnerships and providing specialist public health services.