Weekly study10 hours
How to Make a Psychometric Test: Principles of Scale Development, Reliability and Validity
On this course you will be introduced to the scale development process and be given the opportunity to create a new personality test on a personality trait of your choice.
You’ll have the opportunity to develop your understanding of the concepts of reliability and validity and the important role that they play in determining the quality of psychometric tests.
You will become familiar with how specific statistical techniques, such as Cronbach’s alpha, are conducted and how to report these in a scientific research report.
• Defining psychometric tests
• Understanding reliability
• Understanding validity
• How to conduct Cronbach’s alpha using statistical software
• How to create psychometric test items
• Reporting a scale development process in a scientific research report format.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Define the concepts of reliability and validity
- Produce examples of a selection of reliability and validity tests
- Design a set of new psychometric test items.
- Evaluate the face validity of another person’s psychometric test items.
- Apply the principles of reliability and validity to a psychometric test that you have created yourself.
- Develop a Cronbach’s alpha analysis on a data set.
- Assess the internal consistency of a psychometric test that you have created.
- Summarise the scale development process in a scientific research report format.
- Evaluate the strengths and limitations of a psychometric test that you have created.
Who is the course for?
This course is for individuals who would like to find out how to create a psychometric test and explore the techniques that psychologists use to improve and enhance their quality.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.