Cancellation and Refund policy
Under UK law, you may have the right to cancel or request a refund under certain circumstances, in accordance with this policy.
Please note that our policy on cancellation and refund varies depending on the payment model you have chosen for access to content or courses on the FutureLearn Website. See options below:
- Paid Upfront Courses (excluding Microcredentials) & certain Course Upgrades
- Microcredential Courses
- Subscription Access to Unlimited
- Subscription Access to ExpertTracks
- If you paid to access Paid Upfront Courses or a Course Upgrade:
Refunds or cancellations can only be issued if:
- you have requested it within the 14 day cooling off period which begins on the day you first paid for Unlimited (For Monthly Unlimited subscriptions, this only applies to the first month’s payment);
- you have not completed (or attempted to complete) any tests; and
- you have not received a Certificate of Achievement or Statement of Participation (whether digital or physical) on the course.
The 14 day cooling off period begins:
For Paid Upfront Courses:
- If you purchased before the course started, on the first day of that course run; OR
- If you purchased after the course run started, on the day you made the purchase.
Once your access to the Paid Upfront Course run has been removed, you will not be able to access any part of the course, take part in any tests, or receive a digital or printed certificate for the course run.
For Course Upgrades:
- if you upgraded before the course started, on the first day of that course run; OR
- if you upgraded after the course run started, on the day you paid to upgrade.
Once your upgraded course or access has been removed, you will not be able to access the course run after the free access period has ended, take part in any tests, or receive a digital or printed certificate.
- If you paid to access a Microcredential Course:
For all courses bearing a microcredential (which may be an academic credit, accreditation or another form of formal recognition of prior learning, as applicable), you will be entitled to cancel your purchase and receive a refund at any point between the date of purchase and 14 days after learning begins on the first course of the microcredential.
Please note that some Microcredentials are partially non-refundable due to costs being incurred at the point of enrolment. If a Microcredential has any non-refundable costs they will be clearly stated in the ‘Overview’ section of the Microcredential description page.
To request a refund please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you paid for Subscription Access to Unlimited:
Refunds or cancellations can only be issued if both of the following conditions are met:
- you have requested it within the 14 day cooling off period which begins on the day you first paid for Unlimited (For Monthly Unlimited subscriptions, this only applies to the first month’s payment); and
- you have not received a Certificate of Achievement or Statement of Participation (whether digital or physical) on any course you have accessed under your Subscription Access to Unlimited.
Once your Subscription Access to Unlimited has been removed, you will not be able to access course runs that you had access to after the free access period had ended. This includes not being able to take part in any tests or to receive a digital or printed certificate. Your subscription will automatically renew for another term at the end of a subscription term unless you cancel your subscription or if your subscription is suspended or removed by FutureLearn.
If you upgrade your Unlimited subscription plan from a monthly to an annual plan after the Initial Refund Period, you will not be entitled to a refund. You may cancel your annual plan at any time, but you will continue to have your Subscription Access to Unlimited until the end of the current subscription period.
- If you paid for Subscription Access to ExpertTrack courses:
You are granted a 7 day free trial period for access to Subscription Access on the ExpertTrack on the FutureLearn Website (the “Free Trial Period”). By signing up to Subscription Access to the ExpertTrack for the Free Trial Period, you agree that any statutory cooling-off period begins on the day you start your Free Trial Period and it ends exactly 7 days after the Free Trial Period starts. Once your Free Trial Period has expired you have agreed to be charged the subscription amount specified on the website, before any discounts or promotional codes have been applied.
To avoid being charged the subscription fee for Subscription Access to an ExpertTrack, you must cancel your Subscription Access to the ExpertTrack before the Free Trial Period ends. If you do cancel your subscription after the 7 day Free Trial Period, you will continue to have access until the end of the subscription period and will not be billed for any Subscription Access in the next billing subscription cycle.
Your Subscription Access and payment requirement will automatically terminate when you complete the courses within your Subscription Access to the ExpertTrack.
Subscription Access for ExpertTracks Refund Policy: We do not offer refunds to payments made on any monthly subscription plan for Subscription Access to ExpertTrack courses. Your subscription will automatically renew unless and until you cancel your subscription or if your subscription is suspended or removed by FutureLearn or until you complete all courses within your Subscription Access to the ExpertTrack.
If you are entitled to a refund, we will refund you on the credit card or debit card used by you to pay for the product(s) or access to courses.
If you purchase a product independently of a course upgrade or paid course via the FutureLearn shop:
1. Shop Products fulfilled directly by FutureLearn
If you change your mind:
Where you cancel an order for any Product(s) within 14 days of your receipt of the Product(s), or before we have shipped the Product(s), any refund will be for the amount you paid for the Product(s), including any basic delivery charge; you will be responsible for delivery costs above the basic charges, for example enhanced delivery service, and for the cost of returning the Product(s) to us.
If there is a problem with your Product(s):
If you have returned the Products to us because they are faulty or mis-described, we will refund the price you paid for the Product(s), together with any applicable basic delivery charges, and any reasonable costs you incur in returning the Product(s) to us.
3. Orders for Products to be fulfilled by a third party (“Third Party Products”)
If you change your mind:
If you have purchased a Third Party Product for sale through the FutureLearn website, including, for example, an assessment or examination offered and administered by third party providers, your contract for sale is made directly between you and the third party seller.
Before your order is processed and forwarded to the third party seller, we may in certain circumstances be able to cancel and process a refund if you do not meet the eligibility criteria or if you have purchased the Third Party Product in error and notify us promptly. In all other events and for orders that have been processed and forwarded to the third party seller, please refer to the third party seller’s refunds policy.
How to request a refund for FutureLearn Shop Products
To request a refund or cancellation, contact us at email@example.com with your email address and order number.
When and how we issue refunds for FutureLearn Shop Products
Upon determining that a cancellation or refund is due to you under these Terms, we will issue such refund or cancellation within 14 days of:
- our receipt of the returned Product(s); or
- our confirmation that such refund or cancellation is due to you otherwise than through return of the Products.
If you are entitled to a refund we will refund you on the credit card or debit card used by you to pay for the Product(s).