Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
A Survey of Substance Use Disorder
Explore the basics of addiction medicine
Addiction has a staggering impact on society. Drug overdose is the leading cause of accidental death in the United States and The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that overdose deaths have accelerated during the COVID-19 pandemic.
What’s more, the total cost of addiction to society, accounting for crime, healthcare, and lost productivity, is estimated at upwards of $740 billion annually.
On this two-week course, you’ll explore the basics of addiction medicine to understand the best course of treatments to help patients with addiction.
You’ll study neurobiology, commonly used substances, behavioural addiction epidemiology, SBIRT (Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment), and psychosocial treatments to gain a comprehensive understanding of addiction and its treatments.
Gain an introduction to neurobiology
You’ll explore neurobiology in patients with substance use disorders to understand how addiction affects the brain.
You’ll also examine intoxication and withdrawal syndromes associated with alcohol, opioids, and stimulants to help you provide better care for your patients who may experience these symptoms.
Learn from the experts at The American Society of Addiction Medicine
On the course, you’ll learn to identify psychosocial and pharmacological interventions, such as behavioural therapy and medication. You’ll also discover the best practices on when to use these interventions in the treatment of substance use disorders.
Learning from the experts at The American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM), a national medical specialty society of over 7,000 physicians and associated professionals, this course will equip you with the knowledge to help improve your quality of addiction treatment with your patients.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Apply neurobiological concepts to treat patients who suffer from substance use disorders.
- Identify intoxication and withdrawal syndromes of alcohol, opioids, and stimulants.
- Explore psychosocial and pharmacological interventions in the treatment of addiction.
- Describe ethical issues that arise when there are conflicts relating to both public safety and individual health.
- Discuss factors in managing complex patients with substance use involving co-morbid medical or psychiatric disorders in a variety of settings by utilizing ethical principles.
- Identify factors that contribute to errors in clinical practice.
- Apply prevention strategies to reduce common patient safety errors in addiction medicine practice.
- Demonstrate the appropriate response when patient safety errors occur during the delivery of care to addiction patients.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for providers who are new to the field of addiction medicine.
You may be a primary care physician, clinician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, or behavioral health specialist who sees patients at risk for or with addiction.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends