Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Cultural Appropriation vs Cultural Appreciation
Develop ways to effect change in your work and processes
It may seem difficult to understand the difference between cultural appropriation and cultural appreciation. Ultimately, it is a difference in intent and transaction; voyeurism vs cooperation.
On this two-week course from Livity, you’ll learn how to recognise cultural appropriation and how to develop cultural appreciation in your work instead.
Discover the key differences between appropriation and appreciation
When organisations don’t have a diverse range of perspectives and therefore don’t put the right amount of effort, forethought, or understanding into their work, it can lead to offensive and damaging displays of cultural appropriation.
This course will guide you through a brief history of appropriation, from Alexander the Great in 356BC to Victoria’s Secret 2012 show.
Then, you’ll look at a variety of personal stories of success and failure involving appropriation and its effect on specific individuals and communities.
Dive into the nuance of cultural appreciation
It’s important to be wary of anyone that tries to reduce a culture down to single words or phrases. Similarly, we should be wary of allowing a single aspect of a culture we don’t fully understand to ‘inspire’ our work.
You’ll explore the various facets of cultural appreciation through case studies and examples. You’ll then explore the work that individuals and communities are currently doing to encourage appreciation over appropriation, and discuss where your own opinion sits within a broader context.
Learn how to avoid appropriation and focus on appreciation
At the end of this course, you’ll examine steps that you can take to use your understanding to effect change in your work and processes. And based on the examples throughout this course, you’ll look at what organisations can do to progress.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Assess cultural media and arguments for appropriation.
- Create logical arguments to support your beliefs about cultural appropriation.
- Compare appropriation to appreciation.
- Collaborate with other learners to define your beliefs.
- Critique faulty arguments regarding cultural appropriation.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone wanting to contribute to and foster diversity in their processes, specifically within creative industries.
You may find it especially useful if you’re looking to hire a diverse team, whether you’re the founder of a creative start-up, part of a HR team, or in a senior leadership position at a creative agency.
Who developed the course?
We’re living through the greatest uncertainty of our lifetimes. But it’s not a blip — it’s the new reality of constant disruption. And the next generation are putting on notice the brands and institutions who don’t play their part in making it better.
LIVITY is a creative business that works hand in hand with brands and the next generation to build the future better. Built in co-creation with our next gen network, our courses will build your relationship with your future audience.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends