Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Building Products and Chemistry
Understand the current regulations in the chemical industry
On this three-week course, you’ll take a deep dive into the chemical industry and explore the absence of chemical regulation. You’ll investigate the chemicals we are exposed to in the home and built environment, and how healthier materials can be selected instead.
By the end, you’ll understand how chemistry is relevant to human health and shaping the world we live in.
Explore green chemistry
To help reduce hazardous substances, you’ll explore green chemistry and how the design of these chemical products and processes can fit into the big picture of making positive change.
You’ll explore the current environmental regulations and both the barriers and advocates for change.
Understand chemical classification in the built environment
You’ll gain an introduction to how chemicals are classified and the classes related to materials and health.
Through case studies, you’ll explore relevant hazards in building materials and chemicals of concern.
With this knowledge, you’ll understand the criteria for a healthier project.
Explore design principles and strategies
On the final week of the course, you’ll explore the strategies and guiding principles for designers in a healthier built environment.
You’ll learn techniques for engaging designers as you explore the different phases of a project and how to become an advocate for better building products and chemistry.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Interpret why material health is important and why chemical regulation is important
- Summarise the current chemical regulations and assess why regulations are needed
- Evaluate the various tools, certifications, and standards for evaluating materials
- Develop strategies for engaging designers in the healthy materials revolution
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in material health and the effect chemicals in materials have on human health and sustainability in the built environment.
You may work in the industry or simply be passionate about the health of populations and the environment.
Who developed the course?
For more than a century, Parsons School of Design has been inspired by the transformative potential of design. Today, the school’s groundbreaking academic programs carry forward that mission, making Parsons the number one design school in the U.S. and among the top three globally. At the heart of a comprehensive university — The New School — Parsons draws on a range of academic fields to deliver a uniquely interdisciplinary education enriched by the resources of its home in New York City
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends