Weekly study6 hours
Explore smart device communication and how to protect it
Home and industrial automation is often discussed in terms of what it can do, but underneath, the ‘doing’ is driven by data.
Modern connected systems require communication to coordinate their actions and it is this connectivity that separates them from the previous generation of ‘smart’ systems.
In this short course, we look at how connectivity is achieved and how the communication is protected.
- Encryption in transit and at rest
- Securing Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Message Queuing Telemetry Transport (MQTT)
- Authentication in the Internet of Things (IoT)
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Compare options for connecting IoT devices to each other and to external services
- Evaluate the security considerations for different kinds of communication method, such as MQTT or Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
Who is the course for?
MSc Cyber Security students.
What software or tools do you need?