Weekly study7 hours
Developing a Critical Approach to Reading and Writing
Ensure you present a clear argument in any academic task
This online English course takes you though how to develop a critical approach to reading, writing, listening and speaking.
You will develop your skills in questioning academic texts, whether written or spoken. You will work with information from a range of a texts, combining sources to develop your argument.
You will also investigate how to demonstrate a critical approach when you are speaking, for example in lectures, seminars or webinars.
- Review of research skills
- Evaluating sources
- Synthesising, summarising and paraphrasing
- Language for incorporating sources
- When and how to use quotations
- Developing an argument or line of reasoning
- Developing your own voice - what’s your view?
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Apply appropriate reading strategies in order to chose appropriate sources and locate specific information in those sources
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to use appropriate academic texts to complete academic tasks
- Use and combine information from a range of academic reading texts and cite these appropriately
- Identify a clear argument or line of reasoning in an academic task
Who is the course for?
This course is for students on the Coventry University pre-sessional English award. It is relevant for students who will be continuing their studies online and on-campus.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.
What software or tools do you need?
To take part in this course you will need access to a computer or laptop with a webcam, a reliable internet connection, speakers, and a microphone.