Ensure you present a clear argument in any academic task
This online English course takes you though how to develop a critical approach to reading, writing, listening and speaking.
You will develop your skills in questioning academic texts, whether written or spoken. You will work with information from a range of a texts, combining sources to develop your argument.
You will also investigate how to demonstrate a critical approach when you are speaking, for example in lectures, seminars or webinars.
- Review of research skills
- Evaluating sources
- Synthesising, summarising and paraphrasing
- Language for incorporating sources
- When and how to use quotations
- Developing an argument or line of reasoning
- Developing your own voice - what’s your view?
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Apply appropriate reading strategies in order to chose appropriate sources and locate specific information in those sources
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to use appropriate academic texts to complete academic tasks
- Use and combine information from a range of academic reading texts and cite these appropriately
- Identify a clear argument or line of reasoning in an academic task
Who is the course for?
This course is for students on the Coventry University pre-sessional English award. It is relevant for students who will be continuing their studies online and on-campus.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.