Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Cultivating Diversity through Research and Insights
Learn to encourage diversity in creative research
Currently, there is a severe lack of diversity and inclusion in research and development practices, which makes it difficult for the creative industry to truly represent the people who might use their products.
On this two-week course from Livity, you’ll develop your understanding of what diversity looks like, specifically within creative research, and how to create processes that foster diversity in your work.
Discover how non-diverse research affects creative processes
Research that accurately represents society without bias seems like the obvious option. But there are many examples of non-diverse research, across all industries, that has lead to unrepresentative results, many of which were costly and even dangerous.
This course will guide you through how non-diverse research affects the research and creative processes, using a number of real-world examples to highlight the risks in both the medical and creative industries.
Explore why empowerment works better than attacking biases
During the second week of this course, you’ll discover why empowering diversity in our development processes works better than attacking biases, exploring what empowerment is and, more importantly, what it isn’t.
You’ll then delve into affirmative action and discuss whether it allows for genuine change or if it’s just a box-ticking exercise.
Develop strategies and techniques for diverse research
There are many small steps that you can take to improve the diversity in your research.
Through this course, you’ll learn how to develop research with diversity baked in, delving into the negative effects of microaggressions and everyday bias. Then, you’ll finish by exploring how to develop a diverse mindset and use your learnings in your own research.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Assess your research for diversity of thought.
- Apply appropriate techniques to your research to ensure accuracy.
- Collaborate with other learners to devise more diverse research techniques.
- Explore real-world examples of research gone wrong.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone wanting to contribute to and foster diversity in their processes, specifically within creative industries.
You may find it especially useful if you’re looking to hire a diverse team, whether you’re the founder of a creative start-up, part of a HR team, or in a senior leadership position at a creative agency.
Who developed the course?
We’re living through the greatest uncertainty of our lifetimes. But it’s not a blip — it’s the new reality of constant disruption. And the next generation are putting on notice the brands and institutions who don’t play their part in making it better.
LIVITY is a creative business that works hand in hand with brands and the next generation to build the future better. Built in co-creation with our next gen network, our courses will build your relationship with your future audience.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends