Skip to 0 minutes and 0 seconds Do you want to get ahead on English preparation for your studies and career? Sign up for Macquarie University’s ‘English for STEM’ series on FutureLearn. Improve your English so that you can study or teach science, technology, engineering or maths. STEM content specialists and English language trainers will help you develop language and skills to succeed in your studies. The course makes learning fun with STEM videos, quizzes, pronunciation practice, and interactive language tools. You’ll also learn about listening to lectures, giving presentations, and participating in discussions. Prepare for success with the Macquarie University EMI Centre’s ‘English for STEM’ series. Now available on Futurelearn.
Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
English for STEM: Understanding Engineering Vocabulary
Develop your English vocabulary in civil, industrial, and mechanical engineering
This three-week course from Macquarie University EMI Centre will help you improve your English language ability in the context of engineering.
You’ll delve into key concepts in civil, industrial and mechanical engineering. Through this exploration, you’ll learn essential vocabulary in topics such as sustainable building, occupational health and safety, and robotics.
Throughout the course, you’ll also master pronunciation, word form, and use to ensure you can use engineering vocabulary in the right way.
Improve your English language skills using effective strategies
You’ll learn from videos, quizzes, and reading texts designed specifically for English language learners to help you understand different engineering subjects.
You’ll also discover interactive tools, such as Quizlet, as a strategy for recording and revising new vocabulary.
Develop your academic skills to help you study engineering
Each week, you’ll explore group work and problem-solving skills to help prepare you for studying in English. You’ll learn useful language for group discussions such as language to make suggestions, analyse solutions, and evaluate outcomes.
Learn from the experts at Macquarie University
Throughout the course, you’ll be guided by a language trainer and an engineering trainer from Macquarie University EMI centre.
With their expertise, and frequent opportunities to practise your new language skills, you’ll finish the course with the confidence to use engineering vocabulary in real-life settings.
English for Engineering 1
- Week 1: Civil Engineering (construction and sustainable building)
- Week 2: Industrial Engineering (occupational health and safety and PPE)
- Week 3: Mechanical Engineering (robots and recycling)
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop key English vocabulary for engineering
- Apply strategies for recording and revising new vocabulary
- Interpret written and visual texts on engineering topics
- Improve your academic skills for studying in English
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone who is going to be studying engineering and would like to develop their English language ability.
It will be most useful for learners who have an Intermediate CEFR B1 level of English.
Who developed the course?
Macquarie University aspires to be a different type of university: one focused on fostering collaboration between students, academics, industry and society. Ranked in the top 1% of Universities globally, Macquarie is recognised for producing graduates who are among the most sought after professionals in the world.
World rankingTop 200Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends