Skip to 0 minutes and 0 seconds Do you want to get ahead on English preparation for your studies and career? Sign up for Macquarie University’s ‘English for STEM’ series on FutureLearn. Improve your English so that you can study or teach science, technology, engineering or maths. STEM content specialists and English language trainers will help you develop language and skills to succeed in your studies. The course makes learning fun with STEM videos, quizzes, pronunciation practice, and interactive language tools. You’ll also learn about listening to lectures, giving presentations, and participating in discussions. Prepare for success with the Macquarie University EMI Centre’s ‘English for STEM’ series. Now available on Futurelearn.
Weekly study2 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 4 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
English for STEM: Understanding Maths Vocabulary
Develop your knowledge of essential maths vocabulary
On this three-week course from Macquarie University EMI Centre, you’ll enhance your understanding of maths topics to help improve your English language ability.
You’ll learn essential maths vocabulary as you explore numbers and symbols, shapes and measurements, and probability and statistics.
The videos, quizzes, and reading texts in the course have been designed to help you as an English language learner master pronunciation, word form, and use.
Explore effective strategies to improve your English language skills
To help you record and revise new vocabulary, you’ll use interactive tools, such as Quizlet, and focus on activities to help you improve your reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills.
You’ll learn maths vocabulary in context as you explore different word forms (noun, verb, adjective, adverb), learn how to interpret written and visual texts, and delve into grammar.
Develop essential academic skills
To prepare you for studying in English, you’ll learn how to listen to spoken maths solutions and recognise common phrases such as language for introducing solutions, sequencing steps, and describing results.
Receive guidance from the experts at Macquarie University
You’ll learn from a language trainer and maths trainer from Macquarie University EMI centre throughout this practical course.
With opportunities to practise your vocabulary and the expertise of your educators, you’ll finish the course with the confidence to communicate maths vocabulary in English.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop key English vocabulary for Maths
- Apply strategies for recording and revising new vocabulary
- Improve your ability to follow spoken maths solutions
- Interpret written texts on maths topics
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone wanting to study maths who would like to develop their English language ability in this area.
It is most suitable for learners who have an Intermediate CEFR B1 level of English.
Who developed the course?
Macquarie University aspires to be a different type of university: one focused on fostering collaboration between students, academics, industry and society. Ranked in the top 1% of Universities globally, Macquarie is recognised for producing graduates who are among the most sought after professionals in the world.
World rankingTop 200Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends