Skip to 0 minutes and 0 seconds Do you want to get ahead on English preparation for your studies and career? Sign up for Macquarie University’s ‘English for STEM’ series on FutureLearn. Improve your English so that you can study or teach science, technology, engineering or maths. STEM content specialists and English language trainers will help you develop language and skills to succeed in your studies. The course makes learning fun with STEM videos, quizzes, pronunciation practice, and interactive language tools. You’ll also learn about listening to lectures, giving presentations, and participating in discussions. Prepare for success with the Macquarie University EMI Centre’s ‘English for STEM’ series. Now available on Futurelearn.
Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
English for STEM: Understanding Science Vocabulary
Improve your English vocabulary in the main science subjects
This three-week course from Macquarie University EMI Centre will help you improve your English language ability as you develop your understanding of key science topics in physics, chemistry, and biology.
You’ll learn essential science vocabulary through videos, quizzes, and reading texts to help you master pronunciation, word form, and use.
The materials are designed to help you as an English language learner to understand new science vocabulary for your future studies. You’ll explore mechanics and gravity in preparation for physics, examine atoms and gases as you learn about chemistry, and uncover the living world and cells in biology.
Explore strategies to advance your language skills
Each week, you’ll focus on learning science vocabulary in context as you look at different word forms (noun, verb, adjective, adverb), listen to the pronunciation and see, hear, and practise the stressed syllable. You’ll learn about strategies for recording and revising new vocabulary and use interactive tools (like Quizlet) to do this.
You’ll also learn how to interpret written and visual texts on scientific topics, as well as key grammar, to help you improve your ability to read, listen, write, and speak in English.
Improve your academic skills
Each week, you’ll develop important academic skills to prepare you for studying in English. You’ll learn how to listen to lectures, understand lab reports, and give presentations.
Learn from the experts at Macquarie University
Throughout the course, you’ll have many opportunities to practise to ensure you master the new vocabulary.
Guided by a language trainer and a science trainer from Macquarie University EMI centre, you’ll finish the course with the confidence to use scientific vocabulary in real-life settings.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop key English vocabulary for Science
- Apply strategies for recording and revising new vocabulary
- Interpret written and visual texts on scientific topics
- Improve your academic skills for studying in English
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for learners and educators who are studying or teaching an area of science and would like to develop their English language ability in this area.
It is most suitable for learners who have an intermediate CEFR B1 level of English.
Who developed the course?
Macquarie University aspires to be a different type of university: one focused on fostering collaboration between students, academics, industry and society. Ranked in the top 1% of Universities globally, Macquarie is recognised for producing graduates who are among the most sought after professionals in the world.
World rankingTop 200Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends