Skip to 0 minutes and 0 seconds Do you want to get ahead on English preparation for your studies and career? Sign up for Macquarie University’s ‘English for STEM’ series on FutureLearn. Improve your English so that you can study or teach science, technology, engineering or maths. STEM content specialists and English language trainers will help you develop language and skills to succeed in your studies. The course makes learning fun with STEM videos, quizzes, pronunciation practice, and interactive language tools. You’ll also learn about listening to lectures, giving presentations, and participating in discussions. Prepare for success with the Macquarie University EMI Centre’s ‘English for STEM’ series. Now available on Futurelearn.
Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
English for STEM: Understanding Technology Vocabulary
Develop your English language skills alongside experts in technology
This three-week course from the Macquarie University EMI Centre will help you improve your English language ability as you develop your understanding of concepts in data science, artificial intelligence, and telecommunications.
You’ll be presented with key technology vocabulary and learn the pronunciation, word form, and use to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the topics you’re learning.
You’ll explore the data science process and linear regression in preparation for data science, examine facial recognition technology and how it is used as you learn about artificial intelligence, and learn about networks and IP addresses in telecommunications.
Explore topics to advance your language skills
You’ll learn from materials designed to help you, as an English language learner, to develop an understanding of technology vocabulary to aid your future studies.
You’ll look at different word forms (noun, verb, adjective, adverb), listen to the pronunciation and identify the stressed syllable. You’ll learn about strategies for recording and revising new vocabulary and use interactive tools (like Quizlet) to do this.
Improve your academic skills to help you study technology in English
To help you prepare for studying in English, you’ll develop the important academic skill of participating in discussions by learning language for giving opinions, clarifying information, and asking and answering questions.
Learn from the experts at Macquarie University
Throughout the course, you’ll have frequent opportunities to practise your new language skills and use this key vocabulary in context.
Guided by a language trainer and a technology trainer from Macquarie University EMI centre, you’ll finish the course with the confidence to use technology vocabulary in real-life settings.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop key English vocabulary for Technology
- Apply strategies for recording and revising new vocabulary
- Interpret written and visual texts on different technology topics
- Improve your academic skills for studying in English
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone who is going to be studying an area of technology and would like to develop their English language ability.
It will be most useful for learners who have an A2/B1 level of English (pre-intermediate).
Who developed the course?
Macquarie University aspires to be a different type of university: one focused on fostering collaboration between students, academics, industry and society. Ranked in the top 1% of Universities globally, Macquarie is recognised for producing graduates who are among the most sought after professionals in the world.
World rankingTop 200Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends