This course is part of the Game On: How Gaming Can Supercharge Your Creative Communications ExpertTrack
Explore and Understand the Gaming Industry
Dive into the world of gaming and discover how to use it to boost your marketing and creative prospects.
Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/monthFind out more
Explore and Understand the Gaming Industry
Explore the gaming landscape and how your brand fits into it
In the vast industry of gaming, the options are seemingly endless, but the risk of a wrong move is potentially disastrous.
On this three-week course from D&AD, you’ll gain an understanding of where you, your brand, or the brief you’re responding to fit into the gaming landscape.
Discover the power of the gaming industry
In a rapidly changing and growing industry, it’s crucial to understand the current landscape and what’s on the horizon.
You’ll explore the foundations of the gaming industry, understand its history, and identify what’s powered its growth to see how your brand or brief can utilise this media to find the right response.
Better understand who a gamer is and how they are your audience
Whether you’re inserting your brand into a game, or being inspired by the power of gaming to enhance an existing experience, knowing the steps your audience will take is vital.
Explore who a gamer is, understand the roles of influencers and streamers and learn how brands are interacting with gaming in the right way.
Navigate a brand’s place in the gaming world
While there are endless options for activations within the gaming world, there is a right time and place for a brand to engage.
You’ll explore the different options and audiences, based on your brand or brief, and discover how to create a brief that provides the right information to engage a platform, publisher, or streamer.
Learn from experts in the field
This course is led by D&AD and features content created by a variety of experts in the field from top companies in the industry such as Twitch and Epic Games.
Welcome to Week 1: Gaming Landscape
Welcome to D&AD's course exploring the gaming landscape, and the audience and communities that sit at the heart.
The Lay of the Land
Explore the basics within games - the platforms, the numbers and where are people playing vs watching.
Gaming, eSports, Live-streaming... Oh My!
Uncover the different games and platforms, and how to navigate the world of gaming, eSports and live-streaming.
Who, When and Where?
Where, When and Who?
Explore the audiences and communities now gaming, where they are and when they're doing it.
Understanding the Metaverse
Explore the biggest buzzword in gaming and delve into the Metaverse
Rules of Engagement
Explore how are brands getting it right, and wrong, and the process you can take to create authentic experience.
A Brand's Place
Where Do You Fit?
Understand where your brand, brief, client, or personal work fits into the gaming landscape, and the options most accessible and ripe for creative exploration.
Explore the role of a creative brief to pull together your audience information and creative potential, and getting agencies, platforms, and creators on board.
Put it into practice: Your Better Briefing assignment
Start applying your new skills of audience understanding and the gaming landscape and connect with other learners in this peer graded assignment.
A final reflection of this course and what you've covered
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the breadth of the gaming industry
- Assess where your brand or creative communications are best placed to engage with gaming communities
- Reflect on the growth of gaming and what it means for your current and future audience
- Compare successful creative activations in the gaming landscape and what this means for your advertising, marketing or communications
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for creatives that want to tap into the power of gaming for their communications, marketing, and advertising.
Whether you’re a designer, brand builder, or business owner, this course will guide you through how to harness gaming and use immersive storytelling to enhance your audience connection.
Who will you learn with?
Senior Learning & Development Manager at D&AD. I'm constantly inspired by brilliant creative ideas, and how to help others bring them to life.
I'm Nicole, I'm an Aussie Art Director and Creative Strategist currently making fun stuff at Twitch.
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn