Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $64
Fashion's Future: The Sustainable Development Goals
Discover how fashion and the Sustainable Development Goals are linked
The global fashion industry has an enormous social impact and ecological footprint. Many of us don’t understand how the clothes we wear every day affects the world around us.
Upon completing this 4-week course by Fashion Revolution, you’ll be empowered with new knowledge and ideas to contribute towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals through your own wardrobe.
Why we need a fashion revolution
At the start of the course, you’ll explore how clothing is made and the social and environmental impacts of the fashion industry. We’ll discuss what sustainable fashion really means, and explore why the industry needs to change.
You’ll also gain an understanding of what the Sustainable Development Goals are, and how improvements in global fashion supply chains and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals are intrinsically linked.
Why the Sustainable Development Goals matter
Next, we’ll be looking in-depth at how our clothes affect global issues such as poverty, gender inequality, forced and bonded labour, child labour and other labour and human rights abuses.
You will also explore how our clothing impacts the planet’s health and ecosystems, analysing issues such as global warming, microplastic pollution in our oceans, and the loss of forests and biodiversity. You’ll identify which Sustainable Development Goals relate to these issues.
Consuming and producing sustainable fashion
In the final week of the course, you’ll look at global consumption habits as a key driver of many of the fashion industry’s social and environmental impacts.
You’ll explore potential solutions and conclude the week with a set of actions that we can all take to build a fashion industry that ensures our clothing is made in a safe, clean, fair and sustainable way.
How the fashion industry works, how we interact with it and the impacts it has on people and planet
The Sustainable Development Goals and how they relate to the clothes we wear
Fair Trade/Ethical trade and why it is essential to international development and human rights
Global fashion supply chains, how they work and how they can have a more positive impact on people and planet
Gender equality, women’s empowerment and how it links to the clothes we wear
Decent work and economic growth, what this means in the global fashion industry and what we can do to support good working conditions
The environmental impacts of the clothes we wear and how we can support better conservation and protection of the planet and its natural resources
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore your values and identify the principles that matter the most to you
- Assess brand's sustainability disclosure to better understand their efforts to improve their human rights and environmental impacts
- Develop an understanding of global garment supply chains and the impacts they can have on people and the planet
- Develop an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals and how they relate to the clothes you wear
- Debate how the fashion industry interlinks with the Sustainable Development Goals and how we can all help achieve them
- Debate approaches to change
- Collaborate to build strategies for change
- Engage your local MPs to request they fight for policies that matter to you
- Engage brands to improve their supply chains and share more information on their commitments, goals and progress around their human rights and environmental impacts
- Engage your colleagues, friends, family and peers to drive forward a fashion industry that supports people, planet, profits and creativity in equal measure
- Contribute to meaningful dialogue and a better fashion industry for all
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone wanting to learn more about the fashion industry, fair trade, international development, and the Sustainable Development Goals. This includes fashion professionals or students and activists interested in environmental protection and sustainable consumption.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.