Weekly study2 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 5 of 8
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Personal Trainer's Toolkit: Developing Fitness Programs for Older People
Understand the effects of ageing and fitness programming for older adults.
This online Short Course designed by CQUniversity, provides an overview of the prescreening, testing and programming for older adults in developing health and fitness goals and programs. Chronic health issues experienced by the older population are discussed in relation to the physical and mental effects of ageing. Considerations for working and/or referring to Allied Health Professional is described for this population. By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Outline the physical activity guidelines recommended for older adults
- Describe recommended prescreening and fitness testing in the older adult
- Identify strategies in falls prevention in the fitness setting
- Describe the programming of exercise for the older adult including cardiovascular, strength and conditioning and progression programs
- Consider additional safety concerns to address in the older populations in the fitness setting
- Analyse the referral pathways for Medical and Allied Health Professionals in managing fitness programs for older people with health considerations.
- Defining the older adult
- Pre-screening Tools
- Risk minimisation for older adults
- Client Information Collection
- Exercise Programs
- Falls Prevention
- Effects of Ageing
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain the physical activity guidelines recommended for older adults.
- Describe recommended prescreening and fitness testing in the older adult.
- Identify strategies in falls prevention in the fitness setting.
- Describe the programming of exercise for the older adult including cardiovascular, strength and conditioning and progression programs.
- Identify additional safety concerns to address in the older populations in the fitness setting.
- Assess referral pathways for Medical and Allied Health Professionals in managing fitness programs for older people with health considerations.
Who is the course for?
Fitness trainers will often be faced with clients of different ages and abilities. Knowing how to responsibly train older people will equip trainers with the skills and safeguards to protect themselves and ensure positive outcomes for their clients
Who developed the course?
CQUniversity is Australia’s leading regional university.
Our courses are designed alongside industry and many include hands-on, practical learning experiences and project-based learning. Our commitment to making real-world knowledge and skills accessible to all has seen us being awarded global recognition. We are ranked among the top 2% of Universities in the world.
World rankingTop 500Source: QS World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends