Weekly study4 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Human Rights, Ways of Life, and the Future
Examine what the future could bring for human rights law
The defence of human rights was born of struggle but human rights law has already changed law and practice in many countries. What more can be done?
On this four-week course, you’ll examine the challenge to human rights law posed by the ways of life of indigenous peoples and people of faith. You’ll also consider the impact of the global Covid-19 pandemic on human rights, before considering the future of human rights law.
Explore religious freedom in international human rights law
Religion has been the cause of controversy and war across the world for centuries, which is why there have been many attempts made to protect religious freedom.
The first week of this course will examine the right to religious freedom and its importance. You’ll then focus on the freedom of European Muslim women to wear garments that cover their faces in public. By looking at the responses of some governments, you’ll develop insights into the state of tolerance in 21st Century Europe.
Discover the protections of Indigenous Peoples
Many indigenous peoples’ ways of life are being destroyed by individuals and companies who are engaged in land grabbing.
On this course, you’ll learn how indigenous peoples have made creative use of existing human rights standards to protect their ways of life.
Investigate how the pandemic has affected human rights
There is growing evidence that the problems of poverty and inequality have been exacerbated by the global COVID-19 pandemic.
You’ll consider the effects of the pandemic on different groups of people and the impacts of emergency responses on democratic processes and human rights.
What can you do to promote human rights in the future?
This week, you are asked to come with ideas for improving human rights protection, especially of the poor and marginalised people.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of what constitutes international human rights law, its norms, systems and institutions.
- Explore the history of international human rights law.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone working for national and international governmental and non-governmental organisations, as well as lawyers looking to deepen their knowledge base.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends