Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Additive Manufacturing in the Industry: Impact on Sustainability
Discover how different industries can benefit from additive manufacturing (AM)
Traditional subtractive manufacturing methods often limit the types of geometries that can be produced. Therefore, industries have favoured parts with simple geometries to keep their costs low.
Additive manufacturing, or 3D printing, can help overcome these barriers, providing a simple and cost-effective way to produce parts with specific characteristics, such as electrodes.
On this three-week course, you’ll explore AM-driven innovations to understand how businesses can profit from this method. You’ll identify how different industrial areas can implement AM in their process, and how this can impact sustainability.
Understand the Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM) process
Additive manufacturing can produce products with a much higher degree of complexity by using DfAM – a design optimisation process.
You’ll learn how DfAM is used to maximise part functionality, reduce the cost and time of additive manufacturing, and drive sustainable changes in different industries.
You’ll also learn how to apply the DfAM methods depending on the requirements of the end application.
Explore future trends in metal additive manufacturing in the chemical industry
Separation and purification processes have generated interest in various industry fields, such as chemical and process engineering. You’ll explore the application of metal additive manufacturing in the industry for separation, purification, and hydraulic blocks.
You’ll also assess the benefits and limitations of AM in the chemical industry to broaden your understanding.
With a close look at the sustainability requirements, you’ll finish the course with the knowledge of how the use of AM impacts sustainability.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify how different industrial areas can implement AM in their processes
- Assess benefits and limitations of AM in chemical industry
- Apply Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM) methods depending on the requirements of the end application
- Evaluate industrial additive manufacturing capabilities related to sustainability of electrochemical methods
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone wishing to expand their knowledge about the applicability of additive manufacturing in different industries.
To understand the course content, you should have a basic knowledge of additive manufacturing.
LUT University is a pioneering university in Finland, bringing together the fields of science and business since 1969. LUT is outstanding in successfully integrating expertise in technology and economics. We produce problem solvers and provide solutions to global environmental and economic challenges. We focus our R&D on demanding topical issues such as mitigation of climate change, sustainability of clean water and energy, industrial transition & IoT and the circular economy.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join: