Introduction to Accounting and the Accounting System
Explore basic business documents to understand accounting fundamentals
Accounting is vital for any business. It helps you keep an accurate record of all financial transactions to understand how the organisation is performing.
On this four-week course, you’ll gain an introduction to the fundamentals of accounting. You’ll explore all basic business documents, transactions, and learn how to record them in ledger accounts.
You’ll also learn to identify types of business entities and the differences in expenditure to ensure you understand the key components of accounting.
Learn how to do double-entry bookkeeping
You’ll be introduced to double-entry bookkeeping – a globally-recognised method of accounting for financial transactions.
From underlying concepts to applications of the rules, you’ll gain a solid understanding of double-entry bookkeeping and how you can start using it in practice.
Understand how to prepare a trial balance and financial statement
Delving into the accounting process, you’ll learn how to understand business transactions, record them in ledger accounts, and prepare a trial balance and financial statements.
This knowledge will also help you understand the difference between management and financial accounts, and the purpose each serves.
Guided by the specialists at Kaplan, you’ll finish the course with a sound understanding of accounting and the accounting system, and how you can use this knowledge in your context.
- Identifying different types of business entity
- Fundamentals of accounting: introducing basic business documents
- The difference between capital and revenue income expenditure
- The different books of prime entry
- Recording transactions in ledger accounts
- Double-entry bookkeeping – from underlying concepts to application of the rules
- Financial reporting process
- Financial statements, balance sheet, and profit and loss accounts
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Compare the different types of organisations and how each type operates.
- Compare the different types of accounts a business will produce.
- Identify different documents, how they relate to various transactions and understand the information contained within.
- Discuss the theory behind and use double entry bookkeeping.
- Demonstrate double entry bookkeeping by applying it to practical examples.
- Calculate the profit or loss that a business might make in the year.
- Define common terms used in accounting including capital income, capital expense, revenue income and revenue expense.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone wanting to learn the basics of accounting and double-entry bookkeeping.
You could be studying at college or university and would like some help with these topics or you may have gained double-entry bookkeeping knowledge years ago and want to use this course as a way to brush up on your skills.
This course will also be useful if you would like to learn how to maintain accounting records for a small business, starting with the very basics. You may also be interested in pursuing a career in accounting or business, or you already work in an accounts department.
Who developed the course?
Kaplan UK is a leading international provider of educational and career services. Building on a rich heritage of more than 50 years of training accountants and financial professionals, Kaplan UK serves more than 48,000 students a year, both based in the UK and from overseas, who train for AAT, CIMA, ACCA and ICAEW qualifications.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.