Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Cyber Security Foundations: Why Cyber Security is Important
Gain an introduction to cyber security
This 3-week course for beginners will highlight the importance of cyber security in the current landscape. It will be particularly useful for IT professionals.
Cyber attacks cost a huge amount of money annually, and this figure is on the rise. According to sources, the cost of cybercrime for 2021 will rise to $6 trillion, double the estimated figure for 2015. By 2025, this is predicted to rise to $10.5 trillion.
On this course, you’ll learn about common types of cyber attacks, including phishing, viruses, and social engineering attacks, and how you can protect against them. You’ll also learn how to build a safe password policy, build in ransomware protection, and best practices for mobile data security.
Explore common cyber attacks and how to protect against them
To understand why cyber security is important, we must understand the risks we face.
This cyber security training course will introduce you to some common and dangerous cyber attacks, and key topics such as:
how to build a good password policy and how using a password manager increases data security
risks associated with using unknown USB drives, including USB “rubber ducky” password stealers
how to defend against viruses, including ransomware protection, and what to do when infected
cyber security risks associated with social media, including social engineering attacks
how to identify spear phishing and phishing emails
best practices for mobile data security, including VPNs and DNS redirects
disaster recovery and how to prepare for worst-case scenarios
Completing this introduction to cyber security will enable you to take the first key steps to protecting your data. With these cyber security basics, you can prevent sensitive information getting into the wrong hands.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore how malicious hackers can turn your social media against you
- Identify phishing emails and bad links
- Discuss how to prevent and recover from virus and ransomware attacks
- Explore how to harden your OS by patching and best practices
- Evaluate how to protect your data
Who is the course for?
This cyber security training is aimed at beginners to cyber security and IT professionals who want to understand how to protect their organization from cyber attacks.
This might include data administrators, those working with sensitive data, or those targeting a career in cyber security.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends