Skip to 0 minutes and 1 second SPEAKER: Do you want to be a Cisco Certified Network Associate? Do you need a crash course? If your answer is yes, then let’s go. This is your opportunity learn from Bogdan Stashchuk, an expert in computer networking. In only three weeks, this course will help you explain computer networks, their operations and models, discuss bits and bytes in relation to computer networks, describe the ethernet, explain various network characteristics and details, identify different types of IP addresses, convert between binary and decimal, assess whether hosts are in the same network or not, and describe subnetting. Become a Cisco specialist. Learn wherever and whenever you want. Step into your future with Introduction To Networking Basics with CCNA from Packt and FutureLearn.
Weekly study3 hours
Premium course$84What's included?
Introduction to Networking Basics with CCNA
Discover how network devices communicate with one another
Computer networks allow devices to interconnect, either locally or around the world, sharing resources and data in milliseconds.
On this three-week course, you’ll examine foundational concepts of computer networks, learning key terminology and processes. Equipped with this knowledge, you’ll be able to begin your journey to passing the CCNA exam.
Explore network protocols and frameworks
Beginning with defining computer networks and their applications, you’ll be guided through key concepts including Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) models.
By understanding these communications protocols and frameworks, you’ll be able to explain how different hosts communicate with each other.
Examine the role of routers, IP addresses, and LAN and WAN connectivity
Learning how routers manage data traffic and connect devices to internet connections, you’ll then expand your knowledge of Local Area Networks and Wide Area Networks within this context. You’ll also explore their relation to Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, taking a detailed look at the differences between private and public IP addresses.
With this knowledge, you’ll be able to understand network scalability and compare processes involved in individual networks and those used on a global scale.
Identify and define network layers in computer networking
Building on your knowledge from earlier in the course, you’ll explore network layers in more detail, including physical, data link, network, transport, and application layers, and understand their functions within a network.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to define key network characteristics and explain the role of computer networks and devices in sharing resources, transferring data, and connecting people.
What topics will you cover?
Do you want to learn the basics and advanced concepts of computer networking? Do you want to prepare for the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) exam? With this course, you will learn the basic and advanced concepts of computer networking from scratch.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain computer networks, their operations and models.
- Discuss bits and bytes in relation to computer networks.
- Describe the ethernet.
- Explain various network characteristics.
- Describe the network layer in terms of transition modes, collisions, switched networks and IP addresses.
- Compare routers, LANs and WANs.
- Identify different types of IP addresses.
- Explore network details.
- Practice converting binary to decimal and decimal to binary.
- Assess whether hosts are in the same network or not.
- Describe subnetting.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone wanting to understand computer networking with little or no prior experience. It is particularly useful for those wanting to begin preparing for the CCNA exam.
What software or tools do you need?
You’ll need access to a tool called Wireshark for Windows or MacOS. We’ll show you how to download and install this program during the course.
This is a premium course. These courses are designed for professionals from specific industries looking to learn with a smaller group of like-minded individuals.
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you're eligible
- Download and print your Certificate of Achievement anytime
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
More courses you might like
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.