Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 4 of 5
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Practical: Cyber Investigator
Put what you have learned into practice to develop your digital forensics skills
Almost every investigation: criminal, civil, corporate, HR, or security will include a digital element. It is vital that the investigator can correctly interpret and present the complex digital evidence so that it can withstand scrutiny – it may be the key that proves or disproves an investigation.
Once you have completed the courses on the Digital Forensics and Incident Response (DFIR) Expert Track, this four-week practical course will help you gain hands-on experience in using digital evidence.
You’ll learn how to put the five-phase investigation model into practice, with a focus on the identification and preservation of digital evidence.
Learn how to carry out data interpretation
The course will help you develop an understanding of the requirements for a digital investigation.
You’ll explore different scenarios to learn how to examine, recover, extract, and interpret data. This understanding will help you collect data in a forensically sound manner, translate raw data from sources that are compressed, encoded, or encrypted, and provide investigational context to the data.
You’ll also learn how to present your interpreted data in a way that can be understood by others.
Learn practical skills for dealing with digital evidence alongside PA Consulting
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to explain the importance of evidential and forensic integrity. You’ll know how data can be hidden from the investigator and be able to present complex digital matters that can withstand scrutiny.
Learning from Jim Metcalfe, a digital forensic investigator, cyber security incident responder, and expert witness at PA Consulting, you’ll finish the course with practical knowledge on how to handle digital evidence required for legal or disciplinary proceedings.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the commercial investigation tools available and discuss their integrity compared to open source tools alternatives.
- Assess scenarios for and equipment as sources of potential digital evidence.
- Develop a practical understanding of how to collect data and maintain its integrity
- Develop a hypothesis driven examination process
- Explore the concepts of recovering deleted and obfuscated data
- Summarise how to report the findings of analysis in a clear, concise manner.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone who has completed the Digital Forensics and Incident Response (DFIR) Expert Track.
It will help you gain practical experience in digital investigation and forensics.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends