Weekly study7 hours
Developing Critical Thinking Skills at University
Make more effective arguments in your work based on evidence
This online course from Coventry University will introduce the importance of taking a critical approach and why this is vital to your studies.
You will investigate what a critical approach really means in your field and begin to apply it to spoken or written work.
You will also have the opportunity to produce a short piece of work and engage in a peer review activity.
- The what, why, who and how of critical thinking
- Definitions of critical thinking
- How to take a critical approach in reading and listening
- How critical thinking can be demonstrated in speaking
- Evaluate examples of a critical approach in writing and speaking texts
- Being a reflective learner
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Define critical thinking and explain its role in UK Higher Education and your chosen field.
- Demonstrate a critical approch to academic texts.
- Produce examples of spoken or written critique.
- Produce examples of effective self and peer evaluation.
Who is the course for?
This course is for students on the Coventry University pre-sessional English award. It is relevant for students who will be continuing their studies online and on-campus.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.
What software or tools do you need?
To take part in this course you will need access to a computer or laptop with a webcam, a reliable internet connection, speakers, and a microphone.