Make more effective arguments in your work based on evidence
This online course from Coventry University will introduce the importance of taking a critical approach and why this is vital to your studies.
You will investigate what a critical approach really means in your field and begin to apply it to spoken or written work.
You will also have the opportunity to produce a short piece of work and engage in a peer review activity.
- The what, why, who and how of critical thinking
- Definitions of critical thinking
- How to take a critical approach in reading and listening
- How critical thinking can be demonstrated in speaking
- Evaluate examples of a critical approach in writing and speaking texts
- Being a reflective learner
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Define critical thinking and explain its role in UK Higher Education and your chosen field.
- Demonstrate a critical approch to academic texts.
- Produce examples of spoken or written critique.
- Produce examples of effective self and peer evaluation.
Who is the course for?
This course is for students on the Coventry University pre-sessional English award. It is relevant for students who will be continuing their studies online and on-campus.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.