Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Laser Powder Bed Fusion: Optimising LPBF Parameters
Understand and optimise LPBF additive manufacturing parameters
Powder bed fusion uses electron beams or lasers to melt and fuse material powder together. Laser powder bed fusion technology (LPBF) works very well with metals, allowing manufacturers to accurately produce parts with complex shapes.
Since LPBF is so effective in metal additive manufacturing (3D printing), it’s being used more and more often. To ensure high-quality 3D printing of metal components, professionals in the additive manufacturing sector must have a good understanding of the process parameters that can influence production.
This three-week course will give you an overview of these process parameters when using lasers, and how to optimise them when investigating new materials.
Get to grips with metal additive manufacturing basics
Delving into melt pool formation, you’ll learn what happens at the macro-, meso-, and micro-levels.
You’ll cover basic processes, factors influencing melt pool formation, and keyhole and conduction melt modes to help further your knowledge of metal additive manufacturing.
Take a closer look at LPBF additive manufacturing parameters
After developing a good grounding in LPBF 3D printing basics, you’ll unpack the different parameters that influence the process and products, including environmental and material considerations.
Optimise LBPF 3D printing processes
Finally, you’ll look at optimisation strategies for down- and up-facing surfaces, and at parameter optimisation for new materials.
You’ll be guided by the experts at EIT Raw Materials to ensure you finish the course with the skills and knowledge to get the best possible results on any LBPF project.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe what happens during melt pool formation: which physical phenomena take place at macro-scale, meso-scale and micro-scale.
- Explain how keyhole melt mode and conduction melt mode are formed and identify influential parameters for them.
- Describe process parameters, environmental parameters, material parameters and part parameters that are important in LPBF.
- Explain how LPBF parameters can be optimized when investigating new materials.
- Identify strategies for optimizing the surface quality in down-facing and up-facing surfaces and for increasing the productivity.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for engineers, researchers, and managers in the metal additive manufacturing sector, as well as anyone else interested in optimising LBPF parameters to process new materials.
KU Leuven is Belgium’s oldest and largest university. The Additive Manufacturing group in the Mechanical Engineering Department of KU Leuven has a history of 30 years in research on Laser Sintering of polymers, Laser Powder Bed Fusion of metals and Additive Manufacturing of ceramics. Over the past decades, our research experience has been transferred to master students during regular courses, but also to industrial partners during other symposia and lectures.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends