Weekly study2 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 4 of 8
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Personal Trainer's Toolkit: Mental Health First Aid for Fitness Trainers
Develop an understanding of mental health conditions to support your clients.
This online Short Course designed by CQUniversity will provide an overview of mental health disorders and outlines the first response when encountering a person with a mental health problem, or experiencing a traumatic event or crisis. The course will outline appropriate strategies for the first responder to use in managing the situation until professional help is available.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
Outline the incidence and causes of mental health conditions. Describe the appropriate response strategies recommended as a first responder when managing a person in crisis. Understand methods of managing the person once a crisis has deescalated. Discuss why professional help is recommended and list referral pathways in Australia.
- Overview of Mental Health Disorders
- Client Management with Mental Health Disorders
- Mental Health Misconceptions
- Referrals, Pre-screening and Mental Illness
- IDEAS Framework
- Legal and Ethical Considerations
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain the incidence and causes of mental health conditions in Australia.
- Describe the appropriate response strategies recommended as a first responder when managing a person in crisis.
- Explain methods of managing the person once a crisis has desescalated.
- Discuss why professional help is recommended and list referral pathways in Australia.
Who is the course for?
This course is for fitness professionals. It will ensure that they are equipped to deal with the mental health issues that exercise and fitness training can present. It will enable trainers to understand and react to trauma and mental health concerns in their clients.
Who developed the course?
CQUniversity is Australia’s leading regional university.
Our courses are designed alongside industry and many include hands-on, practical learning experiences and project-based learning. Our commitment to making real-world knowledge and skills accessible to all has seen us being awarded global recognition. We are ranked among the top 2% of Universities in the world.
World rankingTop 500Source: QS World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends