Understand how to create and use project initiation documentation
On this course, you will explore the concept of project management, including its history and why it’s useful in business.
You will explore the key elements of project initiation documentation (PID), including project scope, aims, timelines, stakeholders, and budget. You will also be introduced to the concepts of time, cost and quality of project management - known as the triple constraint or iron triangle. You will have the opportunity to apply what you’ve learnt to real-life scenarios.
What topics will you cover?
- Introduction to project management
- Project initiation documentation (PID): an introduction to key facets of scope, aims, timelines, key stakeholders and budget
- Project selection
- Time, cost and quality triangle (constraint triangle)
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Summarise the concept of project management including linking projects to business strategy and objectives
- Investigate project constraints and how they impact the success of a project
- Identify project scope and its relevance in project management
- Apply the time, cost and quality triangle to a project scenario
- Explore the project lifecycle and the different stages of this model
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone looking to understand project management for business.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!