The Cyber Security Landscape
Develop your knowledge of cyber security in today’s world
Cyber threats are among the biggest challenges businesses face today. With the advancement and transformation of our digital world, organisations need to focus on managing risks and reducing the cost of cyber crime.
On this course, you’ll identify some of the risks that you face as an individual, as well as the organisations you work for.
You’ll explore key digital security terminology and the role of a security policy for protecting information assets within the context of global communication and the web.
Understand cyber threats
You’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of security concepts and their application to contemporary internet and mobile-based technologies.
You’ll explore the various categories of cyber threat, for example; malware, ransomware, and phishing.
Then you’ll consider what constitutes a ‘vulnerability’ and think about the different types of hackers, e.g. recreational, cyber activists, and state sponsored.
Examine the impact of cyber crime, how it affects companies, and the UK government’s response strategy.
Explore digital security risk
Digital security risk is a major issue for organisations worldwide. According to the Center for Strategic and International Studies, total global losses from cyber crime are in excess of $600 billion a year (2018). Cyber crime losses by UK retailers totalled £505 million in 2013 alone.
You’ll explore types of digital security risks, where they occur, who causes them, and identify the risks around your data being lost or used by others, and what you do when your data security has been breached.
Finally, you’ll review the possible motivations of security breaches and what organisations can do to protect themselves, their systems, and their data.
- Current and emerging security implications
- Networks and security, loss of the traditional LAN and LAN perimeter
- Consumerisation of corporate technology through apps, tablets and smartphones
- Client-side threats, web-server security, web-applications security
- Operating system security
- Concepts, problems, and issues related to modern technologies
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate a systematic understanding of relevant knowledge about organisations, their external context and how they are managed
- Demonstrate an understanding of the changing cyber threat landscape and the developments in cyberspace
- Apply knowledge to a range of situations including IT security, finance, accounting, and organisational behaviour, taking account of the inter-relationships of these topics and their interactions with the business and the industry and external environment
- Demonstrate an understanding of appropriate techniques sufficient to allow detailed investigation into relevant cybersecurity management issues
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone who is keen to increase their knowledge of digital security risks and the tools and techniques used to guard against them.
If you want to further your knowledge, you may be interested in these courses. They’re from the same provider and share the same overall learning outcomes:
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.