- Duration6 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineLearn at your own pace
- Extra BenefitsFrom $64
The Global Challenge of Vector Borne Diseases and How to Control Them
Understand how mosquitoes and other arthropod disease vectors can be controlled
The spread of vector-borne diseases, including malaria, Zika virus and dengue fever, are of global concern.
In 2017, the World Health Organisation (WHO) released their Global Vector Control Response (GVCR) document which promotes a stronger, strategic worldwide approach to controlling vectors of disease.
On this course, you will learn about a wide range of vectors and the diseases they transmit, from the Aedes mosquito and the Zika virus, to the tsetse fly and African sleeping sickness.
You will explore the WHO GVCR document, and will also discover how vector-borne diseases are distributed, and the suitability of vector control practices designed to prevent the spread of these dangerous diseases.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the lifecycle of mosquitoes, sandflies, tsetse flies, triatoma bugs, and ticks
- Describe the distribution of these arthropods and diseases transmitted
- Explore and understand the control methods used against these vectors
- Evaluate the pros and cons of different vector control strategies
- Describe examples of successes in vector control
- Describe how to implement control strategies most effectively and how to design robust studies to collect scientifically rigorous data
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone who has an interest in learning more about arthropod disease vectors, their fascinating biology, and how they are controlled.
It is ideal for health workers, vector control researchers, as well as those working and living in countries affected by vector-borne diseases.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please enable all cookies and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.