Half of mental health problems surface before the age of 14 and many professionals who support young people, including teachers, report that they feel ill-equipped to deal with the challenges they face on a daily basis.
This microcredential from the University of Glasgow will help you address current and emerging concerns around the health and mental wellbeing of young people today. You’ll explore key concepts and theories around children’s development, trauma, and loss, and gain vital knowledge and practical skills to use to support young people’s mental wellbeing.
Examine how adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) can impact child development
The ACE-aware campaign has enhanced awareness of the impact of early adversity on children but understanding of the theories and science behind this remains limited. It is also not always clear how to provide practical support for children who have experienced ACEs.
On this microcredential, you’ll start by looking at brain architecture, developmental theories, and how trauma can affect children’s mental health. With this knowledge, you’ll understand how best to support children who have experienced ACEs and develop an awareness of children’s behaviour in educational and social contexts.
Develop strategies for building emotional literacy and emotional intelligence in children and young people
Emotional literacy is a key aspect of mental health, especially in the developing brains of children and young people. You’ll explore what is meant by young people’s emotional literacy and how it may have been affected by huge changes such as the pandemic
This knowledge will help you delve into ways to develop children’s emotional intelligence and literacy. You’ll also explore transitions within a child’s daily life and how you can help them manage and adapt to change.
Gain the skills you need to facilitate trauma-informed interventions
On this microcredential, you’ll further understand and learn how to enhance the mental wellbeing of children and young people, exploring relevant theories, research, and strategies to ensure you can put your new knowledge into practice.
You’ll also develop basic evaluation skills that will allow you to reflect on the potential impact of any interventions you implement.
How will this microcredential help to develop my career?
With the pandemic having impacted the mental health of children and young people all over the country, it is more important than ever for those working in education, social care, and residential care to be able to support the mental wellbeing of young people.
By gaining a theoretical understanding of trauma, brain development, and attachment theory, along with practical strategies to implement, you’ll be able to support young people’s mental wellbeing in a post-COVID world.
If you are a teacher, the new GTCS standards require teachers to be aware of the impact of trauma while also prioritising social and emotional wellbeing, so this microcredential will help you meet and exceed these standards.
We are pleased to offer this course at a discounted rate of £599 (originally £799) to help anyone working with, or supporting young people to help them gain skills and knowledge to better support them.
For further discounts on bookings of two or more enrolments, please contact: Amelia.Howlett@glasgow.ac.uk
How will I be assessed?
You will complete two separate parts of a summative assessment, one worth 25% of your final mark, the other worth 75%.
The first part is an academic poster in which you will be asked to summarise and critically evaluate key concepts from the course. The second is an assignment in which you will be asked to explain how you will apply or hypothetically apply the learning you’ve done on the course to your professional and/or personal setting.
What will I receive after completing this microcredential?
After you have submitted both parts of your assessments and they have been marked, you will receive a grade for your assessment.
Once you’ve successfully completed the microcredential, you’ll receive 10 Post Graduate level academic credits and a HEAR (Higher Education Achievement Record) from the University of Glasgow.