Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This online course explored the current and emerging threat of global health pandemics and how we can respond to them effectively. The topics covered were the science of infection and the spread of infectious diseases, how microorganisms spread and manifest in the body and the challenges that re-emerging epidemics and bacterial resistance pose to disease prevention in diverse communities.
2 weeks, 3 hours per week
Dr Peta-Anne Zimmerman
Program Director, Graduate Infection Control Program
Dr Thea van de Mortel
Professor & Acting Head of School
- Explain the science of infection and infectious diseases
- Describe emerging and re-emerging diseases
- Identify the various challenges in the prevention of infectious diseases in diverse healthcare and community settings
- Discuss the basic principles of effective containment and prevention of infectious diseases
- The science of infection and disease and the distinction between the two. Not all infections cause disease and not all diseases may be due to infection.
- Microorganisms: how they spread, and how they manifest in the body to cause disease.
- Emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases: emerging infections are those that have newly appeared in a population whereas re-emerging infections are those that existed in the past (SARS, EBOLA) but have reappeared.
- A discussion of bacterial resistance, how bacteria evolve to become resistant to things that are meant to kill them.
- Contemporary communicable diseases and healthcare-associated infections at a global, regional, national and local level.
- Outbreak responses, identifying and breaking the chain of infection through good hygiene and standard precautions.
- You have a role to play: practical containment and prevention strategies.
Issued on 27th July 2020
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: