Weekly study3 hours
Antisemitism: From Its Origins to the Present
Trace the history of antisemitism - from antiquity to the present
In this course, 50 leading scholars from all over the world will explore questions and issues relating to antisemitism including: what is antisemitism? How has it changed throughout history? Why can it be found among so many diverse cultures, and even among opposing ideologies? What happened to antisemitism after the Holocaust? How is antisemitism expressed today, and what are the main spheres in which it can be found?
We will examine different periods and societies, exploring the development of antisemitism as well as its changing nature over time, place and culture.
- The nature of hate
- The perception of the “other” in the Greco-Roman world
- The advent of Christianity and its effect on the history of antisemitism
- The Middle Ages and anti-Jewish discourse, libels and violence
- The ideologies and revolutions of the Modern Period and their impact on the development of antisemitism
- Nazi ideology and the Holocaust
- Antisemitism in the Far-right and Far-left
- Holocaust Denial
- Anti-Zionism and antisemitism
- The case of the Islamic and Arab world
- Online hate
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss what antisemitism is and what is unique about it
- Identify antisemitic language and actions in the past and in the present
- Explain the historical and ideological roots of antisemitism and how it has developed
- Identify different types of antisemitism presented in the course and explain the differences, commonalities and dynamics between them
- Discuss the characteristics of antisemitism today
- Distinguish between antisemitism and legitimate criticism of the State of Israel
Who is the course for?
This course, designed by Yad Vashem - The World Holocaust Remembrance Center, is for anyone with an interest in history, in social dynamics and human nature, and in the phenomenon of antisemitism.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.