Discover how the arts and technology connect
From the invention of instruments and musical notation to the printing press, technology enhances our ability to create, share, and experience art.
Due to rapid advances in technology, for the first time in history, creators can distribute their work globally and in real-time.
We’re seeing artists, educators, technologists, and scientists embrace technology as an explicit form of experimentation and expression within the arts.
On this Teach-Out, you’ll hear from experts across the artistic spectrum on how technology not only enhances art but also poses unanswered questions and challenges.
What topics will you cover?
How does art impact technology, and inversely, how does technology impact art?
What are the most pressing issues facing the arts today as they relate to technology?
How have the ways in which we create, share, and experience art changed with the introduction of new technologies?
How is art meant to be experienced?
How is technology impacting arts education?
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify examples of how art and technology intersect
- identify some of the challenges facing traditional or professional arts spaces because of new digital technologies
- Describe ways in which new technologies are changing how artists create, share, and experience art.
- Contribute their opinions about how they like to experience art in a digital age
- Describe how technology is impacting arts education, particularly in the United States.
Who is the course for?
This Teach-Out is designed for anyone interested in learning more about the intersection of art and technology.
Who developed the course?
As the #1 public research university in the United States, U-M has been a leader in research, learning, and teaching for more than 200 years, with 102 Grad programs in the top 10 — U.S. News & World Report (2019).
- LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan, USA
- World rankingTop 30Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
University of Michigan are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get: