Weekly study4 hours
Premium course$54What's included?
Writing Better Emails
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Develop your skills in planning, organising, writing and editing emails.
Email writing is one of the universally important skills in today’s workplace. But it is rarely taught in higher education institutions and many young people arrive in the workplace having never written a professional email. Equally, people with many years’ work experience have never been given any email training.
This online course develops your planning, organising, writing and editing skills, to enable you to write more effective and efficient emails. You will learn techniques to help you write emails that people want to read and ensure you are better understood in the workplace.
What topics will you cover?
- Planning emails to achieve their purpose
- Organising content in a logical, reader-friendly structure
- Adapting emails to different audiences and situations
- Writing and editing emails to make them clear and concise
- Writing specific messages and building a relationship with the reader
- Useful phrases used in modern business email writing
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Apply planning and organising techniques for your writing to fit its purpose
- Assess and adapt emails to different audiences and situations
- Develop and edit your email to make it clear, concise and easy to understand
Who is the course for?
This professional email writing course is suitable for anyone who uses email, but especially for those in the early stages of their career, or who need to update their skills.
The course is aimed at native and non-native English speakers at around intermediate level (approximately B1 on the CEFR) or above.
Who will you learn with?
I've been in learning and development for over 16 years. I create, deliver and manage training in intercultural competence, professional skills and communication skills.
I'm Alejandra, I've been working as an EFL teacher since 1980. Currently, I'm working as an online Moderator/Educator for the BC delivering teaching development courses and other MOOC courses for FL
I have been in the field of communications for over 30 years. I am now Assistant Director at the Professional Development Centre in K.L.
Who developed the course?
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million people overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
This is a premium course. These courses are designed for professionals from specific industries looking to learn with a smaller group of like-minded individuals.
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you're eligible
- Download and print your Certificate of Achievement anytime
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLbetteremail to talk about this course on social media.