Gain an introduction to business model thinking and learn how to turn your big ideas into real business opportunities.
Weekly study3 hours
Business Model Thinking
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Learn how to add real value to your business
Do you have a business idea? Can your idea make a difference?
This course delves into the use of business model thinking and other business techniques to develop big business ideas into business opportunities.
You’ll learn how to assess the viability of your business idea and the value it could add to your business.
You’ll understand how businesses of all sizes can add value in a global market, and have real societal impacts and benefits. You’ll also understand the importance of a vision, mission and value proposition for your business.
What topics will you cover?
- Business model thinking
- Creating value
- Business strategy
- Business success and responsibility
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate business model thinking as applied within the context of developing a new business idea
- Justify the value that your business will add
- Assess the viability of your business idea
- Evaluate the importance of a vision, mission and value proposition for your business
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those looking to move into business management. It will be of particular interest to those looking to progress into senior roles or with an interest in developing new business ideas.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
Who will you learn with?
I am an Associate Professor (Principal Lecturer) of Supply Chain Management, Subject Leader in Operations Management and Director of the Transnational Research Degree (TNRD) Programme at SSL/FBL.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Advance your career with a degree
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLbusinessmodelthinking to talk about this course on social media.