This course is part of the Coaching Skills: Sports Coaching and Leadership ExpertTrack
Coaching Skills: A changing landscape
Learn how coaching has changed over time and how to navigate this fast-moving landscape.
Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 5
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/monthFind out more
Coaching Skills: A changing landscape
Understand how the knowledge era is changing coaching techniques
With the expansion of technology, the landscape of coaching is fast-moving and ever-changing.
On this two-week course, you’ll learn how to navigate this shift and adapt your techniques to effectively work in the knowledge era.
Whether you’re interested in sports coaching or becoming a business coach, it is your role to inspire, and the skills you learn on this course will help you become a better leader and motivate your team.
Examine the learning cycle to enhance player performance
You’ll discover the different leadership techniques and practical measures you can implement to take your coaching to the next level.
Analysing the experiential learning cycle, you’ll understand the approaches to coaching that move beyond instructing. You’ll look at the importance of reviewing and planning, and how this can empower your team to decide on what they need to do to increase their performance.
Develop your coaching and leadership skills alongside specialists
By the end of this course, you’ll know how to navigate as a coach in a changing landscape. You’ll be able to harness the collective intelligence of your team to motivate and develop others, and understand your role as a coach in today’s environment. You’ll learn alongside specialist sports and business coach, Paddy Upton from Deakin University to gain first-hand knowledge on how to become a more effective coach.
What topics will you cover?
- Frameworks to support working with new teams
- Stages of team development
- The change cycle
- The team bank balance – building confidence
- The performance clock
- Tracking the changing dynamic of conflict.
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Recognise why a different approach to coaching is required
- Identify your own place within the changing landscape
- Experientially navigate the changing landscape
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone with an interest in sports coaching. You may already work in the area and you’re looking to upskill, or you might just be starting your coaching career.
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn