- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineLearn at your own pace
- Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 5
- Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Coaching Skills: An athlete-centred approach
Develop your sports coaching skills
To get the best out of your team, you need to implement the coaching techniques that promote collaboration and performance.
On this two-week course, you’ll discover how an athlete-centred approach to coaching can help your athletes achieve their goals.
You’ll learn how to engage with the individuals and teams you coach and focus on their needs, creating the best possible experience for them to reach their potential.
Put the athlete first to increase your team performance
You’ll use Ken Wilber’s Integral Matrix to evaluate the differences between coach-centred and athlete-centred approaches. This understanding will help you reflect on the impacts of these different styles of coaching on team performance.
Producing your own plan to include individuals in their development, you’ll understand how to introduce your athletes to the thinking aspects of the game. Specifically, you’ll help them review past performances and help them plan for future games.
Investigate the differences between the art and the science of coaching
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to explain the differences between the art and science of coaching and understand how to apply different approaches to your own context.
You’ll understand the importance of review and planning and how coaching with the athlete in mind can be the difference between success and failure.
- Use of Ken Wilber’s Integral Matrix to frame the differences between coach- and player-centred approaches
- The importance of review and planning
- Success and failure
- Impact of different approaches on player development and performance
- Coaching with the intangible, invisible aspects of a player’s game in mind.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Create a shareable certificate link for your CV and LinkedIn.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Share your certificate
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the differences between coach-centred and athlete-centred coaching
- Explain the differences between the art and science of coaching
- Investigate the impact of a coach- or athlete-centred approach on individual development and performance
- Apply athlete-centred coaching principles to enhance individual/team performance
Who is the course for?
This course will suit you if you have an interest in sports or business coaching. You may be new to the field and looking to pursue a coaching career or you may already be working in the area and want to upskill.
Learn valuable sports coaching skills to lead and motivate your high-performing team with this ExpertTrack from Deakin University.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends