Genomic Medicine and Research: A Community Approach
Duration 3 weeks
Weekly study 3 hours
Extra benefits From $54 Find out more
Explore the benefits of a community approach to genomic medicine and research
Translational research has shown the benefits of using a community-focussed approach to healthcare. This course shares these benefits and raises awareness of community genetics as a field of medicine. Amish communities and families affected by inherited disorders are used as an example.
On this course, you will explore the skills needed for translational research work and understand the meaning of community genetics. You will also learn the value of whole genome sequencing in the community context and the importance of community-specific medical research to patients.
What topics will you cover?
- A range of rare inherited diseases, and their genetic basis
- What we mean by the term ‘Community Genetics’
- Mechanisms and methodology for investigating the genetic basis of rare diseases in a community setting
- The use of whole genome analysis in the clinical management of patients within a community setting
- The importance of understanding a patient’s ethnicity, family history and cultural beliefs and practices, in formulating a differential diagnosis and for ensuring equality of health care and special educational needs provision
- Mechanisms for dissemination of research findings to ensure maximum community, and international, impact and benefits
- Building on your findings: grant income, research outputs and collaborations
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This course is for research teams, clinicians and allied health and special educational needs workers and diagnostic facilities that work with families affected by inherited diseases.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLtranslationalresearch to talk about this course on social media.