Weekly study5 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 2
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Contemporary Chinese I: 1.1
Expand your horizons and discover the Chinese language
Learning the Chinese language is an essential first step towards understanding China’s culture, history, political and economic system. Mastering the Chinese language will broaden your employment channels and increase your employment opportunities.
On this five-week course from Chinese Plus, you will learn the foundations of Chinese, while also exploring traditional Chinese culture and current Chinese society.
Discover Pīnyīn, the Chinese pronunciation system
Pīnyīn is a special system designed to help people learn Mandarin pronunciation. The system transcribes Chinese characters to make them easier to pronounce. While they look like English, pīnyīn letters are spelled and pronounced slightly differently.
This course will introduce you to the Chinese language system and character system alongside pīnyīn, making it easier for you to develop your Chinese pronunciation and overall speaking skills.
Learn the basics of Chinese Mandarin
Once you have the foundations of pronunciation, you’ll move on to conversational Chinese. You’ll start by learning how to introduce yourself and ask others about their name, nationality, and language before building up to wider greetings and personal information.
Explore Chinese names, traditional customs, and family trees
Learning a language isn’t just about pronunciation and words; it’s also about understanding the culture.
In this course, you’ll delve into traditional Chinese culture, learning about Chinese names as well as family trees. You’ll also develop the ability to ask and discuss families and names to coincide with and enhance your study of the culture.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the basics of the Chinese language system
- Identify key categories of vocabulary
- Practice asking and answering conversational questions
- Produce basic grammar and sentence structures for simple communication
- Explore aspects of Chinese culture
- Develop general knowledge of China
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in learning Chinese, no matter what your previous learning experience was. It lays the groundwork for the Chinese language, making it ideal for a beginner.
Who developed the course?
Chinese Plus lends support to domestic and foreign educational institutions, social organizations, and enterprises to take part in Online Chinese Class and set up localized platforms to conduct remote online Chinese education. It offers an all-in-one service package that includes online “teaching, learning, testing, and researching” as well as Chinese-centered online preparatory courses and “Chinese + vocational education” courses, among other services.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends