Weekly study4 hours
Understand and practice the application of creativity to business problems
This short course encourages students to discuss and understand why creativity is not just for children. It is a vital tool in work and business. Drawing on the cross cultural and gamification expertise of Coventry University, learners will explore the connections between creativity and change.
Businesses need to change to keep up with changing markets, customers and environments. Therefore, leaders and consultants need to create an environment which is conducive to creative thinking. Learners will investigate strategies for embedding creativity as a core element of business development.
Week 1 - Understanding the importance of creative thinking in consultancy and leadership and develop strategies for creative thinking
Week 2 - Enabling a creative environment. exploring creativity across cultures, and understanding barriers to creativity
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Summarise the main drivers that enable creativity as part of a team within the workplace
- Reflect upon the effect of creative thinking in relation to consultancy and leadership strategy
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to identify client needs for change
- Develop strategies for consultancy interventions which enable culture change within the organisation
- Appraise the importance of techniques a consultant might use to encourage and embed creative thinking
- Evaluate the relationship between leadership and creativity
- Explore barriers to creativity and develop strategies to overcome them
Who is the course for?
This course is for postgraduate students of Coventry University. It is aimed at students across all subject areas and all faculties to enable them to improve their employment prospects at management level on completion of their studies. It recognises that postgraduate students are well placed to enter employment in their field at management level and earns them accreditation in management and leadership techniques and consultancy.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.
What software or tools do you need?
One of the tasks requires you to create a visual resource in addition to the usual text input. In order to do this, you need to be able to access either a camera (possibly on a mobile phone) to record and upload a paper drawing, or creative software of your choice such as the freely available https://sketch.io/sketchpad/, https://drawisland.com/, https://www.pixilart.com/draw, http://kleki.com/ or https://www.mindmup.com/. If you use software to create your image, you will need to upload a link to your completed task.