Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Designing for a Diverse and Inclusive Future
In a year defined by inequality, learn how to design a future of equity
Are you curious about the possibilities technology can bring to solve pressing issues of Diversity, Equality and Inclusion in the UK?
On this course, you’ll hear from a diverse range of passionate voices from around the UK, including Audrey Indome, Tolani Shoneye, and Milena Sanchez from The Receipts Podcast; as well as experts, including Safiya Ahmed (Graphic designer and co-founder of Ricebox Studio), Charlene Hunter (CEO & Founder of Coding Black Females) and Charlie Dark (DJ, Poet and Founder of Run Dem Crew).
Empathy in Design Thinking increases the opportunities that technology can bring
By the end of this course you will be able to identify and interpret challenges and opportunities when designing a future where diversity, equality and inclusivity is not just a sideline, but a lifestyle.
You’ll develop an understanding of the fundamentals of design thinking – a non-linear and iterative process used by many technology companies, like Samsung, to solve problems and create innovative solutions.
Crucially, you’ll also learn the importance of empathy in developing powerful solutions to diversity and inclusivity challenges.
A playful and confident attitude to ideation
You’ll come away feeling educated and inspired to really drive change for yourselves, your community, and the world.
Throughout this course, you’ll build your confidence in planning, and articulating your own empathetic design ideas to bring the future of diversity, equality and inclusivity to life.
Samsung’s Solve for Tomorrow
This course forms part of Samsung’s Solve for Tomorrow programme, offering young people a chance to explore the role tech can play in solving some of society’s biggest issues.
Design the future. No qualifications needed.
- An introduction to the course from Samsung, plus Samsung UK’s POV on Diversity and Inclusivity.
- An in-depth critique on what’s happening in Diversity and Inclusivity in the UK today.
- An example of a built solution and it’s affect on Diversity and Inclusivity in the UK.
- An introduction to Design Thinking.
- Imagining what might be possible for society if technology is imbued within Diversity and Inclusivity.
- Using Empathetic Design Thinking to bring ideas to life.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect on how diversity and inclusivity relates to you today.
- Compare and discuss diversity and inclusivity in the UK today.
- Identify and interpret opportunities and challenges when designing a future where learning is a lifestyle.
- Explore the opportunities that technology can bring when designing for a diverse and inclusive future.
- Understand the fundamentals of design thinking.
- Develop an understanding of the importance of empathy when design thinking.
- Develop a playful attitude to ideation in response to the proposition: Designing for a Diverse and Inclusive Future.
Who is the course for?
This course is for young people aged 16-25 from across the UK who are interested in learning how to innovate and drive positive change for themselves, their communities, and the world.
If you are curious about the possibilities of technology and are passionate about Diversity, Equality and Inclusion, this course is for you. No formal education experience required.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.