Weekly study5 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Doing Business in Conflict Zones
Develop the skills to plan for business success in conflict zones
In many conflict-affected parts of the world, there’s an enormous amount of untapped business potential. But with unpredictable and dangerous environments, business investments are often deterred, meaning communities lose out and the economic drivers of conflict can be exacerbated.
On this three-week course presented by Dr Aisha Ahmad, you’ll develop the tools to make sense of the challenges and opportunities of doing business in a conflict-affected part of the world, gaining practical insights on how to plan for success.
Discover how conflict can affect informal economies
To understand how business works in countries affected by violent conflict, you first need to place these economies in their appropriate social and historical context.
The first week of this course will allow you to explore the idea of a civil war economy. With an ‘on the ground’ view, you’ll learn how to work safely and effectively in these hostile business environments.
Examine the challenges of investing in a conflict zone
In countries with high levels of corruption, not only can state bureaucracy be frustrating, but you also need to consider the relationships communities have with the state and its rules.
You’ll look at the challenges and opportunities of investing in a new business venture in a conflict zone. Through this, you’ll see how a business venture can affect, transform, and contribute to the existing ecosystem of the conflict zone.
Stress test your business plans through red teaming
In the final week, you’ll learn about red team exercises, recreating some of their key elements to stress test your business plans.
By the end of this course, you’ll have the skills to spot vulnerabilities in business plans for conflict zones and discuss how you can adapt to mitigate some of the risks.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Recognize the risks and calculate the costs involved in launching a business venture in an active conflict zone.
- Critically assess how a business venture might inadvertently affect, transform, and contribute to conflict dynamics on the ground.
- Develop creative problem-solving skills to adapt to challenges facing businesses in conflict zones.
- Practice “stress testing” a business plan before implementation, using a modified version of a tool called a “red team” exercise.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone working or volunteering for an organisation engaged in a conflict-affected environment.
It will also be useful if you’re studying a related subject such as political science, public policy, or international business studies.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends