Why join the course?
This course shows the immense value we get from energy, where we get it, why the energy system must change, and why a faster change is needed.
We’ll cover: + Why Energy Matters + Oil, Coal and Natural Gas + Drilling, Fracking and Reserves + The History and Physics of Global Warming
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Identify natural and human-driven systems and processes that produce energy and affect the environment
- Explain basic scientific concepts related to energy
- Discuss how global warming from fossil fuel use has arisen historically
- Summarize how the climate has always changed and how humans are driving changes, which will have large, long-lasting impacts if we don’t shift our energy system
What topics will you cover?
- Stories of our ancestors showing the immense value, but real difficulties of energy use including burning trees and whale oil
- Creative ways our ancestors dealt with drought and how rain impacted population
- How we talk about energy, what is it, and how much of it we use
- The long process of how the Earth makes fossil fuels
- US Energy use and the US economy
- The formation and origins of fossil fuels (oil, coal and gas)
- The physics of global warming and the history of carbon dioxide
- Climate models using natural and anthropogenic forcings
- The history of global warming including The Great Dying, PETM and the Ice Ages
- The Projection Project and the impacts of increased CO2 on the planet
Upgrade - $94
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLourenergyfuture to talk about this course on social media.