Improving Food Production with Agricultural Technology and Plant Biotechnology
Duration 3 weeks
Weekly study 3 hours
Extra benefits From $74 Find out more
Learn how to address challenges in growing, harvesting, and processing food
Are you inspired to join the next generation of scientists and tackle challenges in food security? On this course, you will get access to innovative research solutions that address some of the biggest issues in food, agriculture, and plant biotechnology.
You will become more familiar with the journey plants take, from crops in the field to food on your plate. You will explore the importance of scientific research in food security and discover the new technologies that are transforming agriculture.
What topics will you cover?
Week One: Plant biotechnology
- Solutions to food production challenges (pathology, pests, environmental stress, climate change) e.g. genetics
- Alternatives to plant biotechnology e.g. biological control
Week Two: Agricultural technology
- Challenges in the field e.g. soil structure, climate, yield, disease
- A history of agricultural technology and today’s new technologies e.g. cutting-edge precision agriculture
Week Three: Food science
- Solutions for altering plant-based foods to create supermarket food products
- Examples of post-harvest food processing, e.g. creating pectins and sweeteners out of fruit by-products
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for 16-19 year olds studying biology related STEM subjects at A level or undergraduate level. It will also appeal to adults interested in the technology behind food production.
Who will you learn with?
EIT Food is Europe’s leading food innovation initiative, with the aim to create a sustainable and future-proof food sector.
The University of Cambridge contributes to society through the pursuit of excellent education, learning, and research.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get: