Weekly study3 hours
Tackling Global Food Safety
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Ensuring Food Safety for a Growing Population
With increasing populations and global threats, the integrity and safety of global food chains has never been more at risk.
In many countries, simply getting enough to eat can be an issue, with poor quality food often contaminated with hazardous agents. In developed countries, pressure to deliver cheap, affordable food impacts quality and safety.
On this course, you will gain an advanced understanding of food safety issues and intervention approaches to be applied across the food supply chain, to help ensure a sustainable supply of safe, nutritious food meeting demand and improving human health.
Week 1: Food Fraud and Authenticity
- The various types of food fraud threatening food integrity
- Approaches to monitoring food fraud through trace and detection techniques
- How false claims can be made on labelled products to mislead the consumer
Week 2: What is Food Safety?
• The types of hazards that threaten our food safety
• How food hazards can be monitored and the challenges to preventing their entry into the food chain
• Databases that can be used to search for information on food hazards
• Techniques that can be used to isolate foodborne pathogens from test samples
Week 3: Food Contamination – What is the impact on human health?
• Where food contaminants originate and how they enter our food
• Examples of how food contaminants affect our health
• How biomarkers can be used to determine exposure to dietary contaminants
• Different origins of food contaminants - naturally occurring and production related
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the threats to human health posed by fraud and the bacterial and chemical contamination of food
- Examine the various approaches and techniques which can be applied to ensure the authenticity and safety of our food
- Develop an awareness of the types of hazards which threaten global food supplies and the threats these present to human health
- Reflect on the challenges posed to food safety and integrity and to human health by the demand to produce more food, and the types of approaches needed to address these challenges
Who is the course for?
This course covers techniques and research being applied and developed to improve food safety. The course is open to all, but aimed at learners at postgraduate level.